Chamber’s ChiliSpiel heats up ice, warms up end of winter
Smiths Falls Record News
Despite the last-ditch dump of snow outside, curlers were busy inside sweeping away the winter chill, and warming up with chili.
The Smiths Falls and District Chamber of Commerce’s inaugural Chamber ChiliSpiel was held Wednesday, March 15, at noon, at the Smiths Falls Curling and Squash Club.
The blind taste test for the chili cook-off was conducted by judges Barbara Black, the chamber’s president, Smiths Falls town Coun. John Maloney, and local radio personality John Chatwood.
The winners were:
- First place: Rideau Community Health Services – This Chili is made with TVP – Texturized Vegetable Protein, a soya/vegetable protein that is cholesterol and fat free and just pure protein. One cup is equivalent to approx. one pound of ground meat, in most recipes. The chili recipe makes 8 cups of food to feed a family of 4 for under $4.00 when we price matched, and it freezes beautifully. Click to view the full recipe.
- Second place: Pankow Financial
- Third Place: Carleton Place Terrace
The cook-off was followed by a curling tournament.
The following groups contributed to the event:
- Sweatergang Companions donated the buns.
- Carleton Place Terrace provided the dessert.
- Chris Saumure sponsored the antacid station.
The prize sponsors were:
- Royal Bank of Canada — Smiths Falls branch.
- Chartwell Retirement Residences.
- Carleton Place Terrace retirement residence.
- The Rideau Winery.
Wednesday, March 15th 2017 at the Smiths Falls Curling & Squash Club
- Hurry Hard to the Chamber of Commerce Curling Bonspiel and Chili Cookoff Event!
- Cool off on the ice and heat back up with a warm bowl of chili!
- Sweep away the Winter Chill…(i)!
When: Wednesday, March 15th, 2017
Time: Chili Cookoff Judging and Lunch starting at 12 noon. Curling will start around 1 p.m. or soon after. Games last 1-1.5 hours
Where: Smiths Falls Curling and Squash Club
The lounge bar will be open the full day.
Cost to Curl: $40 Cost to Enter your Chili: Free
Not a curler? No worries! We’re just out to have some fun.
Experts will be on hand to help us push the rock in the right direction!
Sign up as an individual or as a team of four. We’re happy to place you on a team.
Please bring clean running shoes to curl.
Limited spots available, only 32 curlers on the ice.
What better way to warm up than with a big bowl of homemade chili!
Sign up to compete and bring in your chili. Or just come eat lunch with us.
Our team of esteemed judges – John Chatwood of JackFM, Chamber President Barbara Black of RBC and Smiths Falls Town Councilor, John Maloney of The Rideau Winery will be tasting and judging for first second and third place recipes!
Then we will all share in the chili and have a warm lunch with bun and beverage!
Please bring your best chili recipe in a crock pot with a ladle.
PLEASE NOTE: You do not need to curl to enter a chili and you
do not need to bring a chili to curl.
Call the Chamber offices for more information or to register. 613-283-1334 or email email@example.com
Download the Registration form (Word Format)–> Smiths Falls Chamber of Commerce Curling and Chili Cookoff Sign Up form